Weekly Snapshot Archives - 2014/11
November 25, 2014
In this Issue:
- Bystander Intervention Resources: Bystander intervention awareness and strategies are an essential part of any violence prevention program or effort at higher education institutions, regardless of your institution's location or size. Compiled below are several resources for use by campus safety officials, advocates, faculty and staff, and community members.
- Giving Thanks: During this week of Thanksgiving, we would like to express our thanks to all the campus public safety officials for your service.
November 19, 2014
In this issue:
- "It's On Us" Week of Action: This week, November 17-21, is the official "It's On Us" Week of Action across campuses nationwide. The week of events, advocacy and activism is being coordinated by Generation Progress, the progressive, nonprofit interest group that has partnered with the White House on the "It's On Us" campaign.
- Preparing for and Responding to Cyberbullying: Tips for Law Enforcement: Cyberbullying is a growing problem among several age groups that occurs across a variety of mediums in cyberspace including on computers, cell phones and tablets, through video-sharing sites and social media, and in interactive apps and gaming systems.
November 13, 2014
In this issue:
- From the Road: TISA Pilot Training Program at Virginia Commonwealth University: Tuesday was the first day of our pilot training program for campus officials on Trauma-Informed Sexual Assault Investigations and Adjudications at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. We had over 40 participants in attendance - student conduct, education and advocacy services, counseling services, residential life, administrative investigations, campus public safety, law enforcement, dean of students office, attorney general's office, and more.
- Officer Response to People with Mental Illnesses: Resources: As a follow-up to our article two weeks ago on Officer Response to People with Mental Illnesses that focused on training, we have compiled some resources in our website library to assist you in establishing, maintaining or coordinating response programs.
November 5, 2014
In this issue:
- Ebola Virus Disease - Updates and Resources: Colleges and universities across the nation have been cautiously preparing for the possible arrival of the Ebola virus and taking essential steps to prevent it from coming to their campuses. To assist these communities, we have compiled relevant guidance, training, updates and other resources below.
- Fire Safety on Campuses: Fire safety continues to be a critical issue on campuses nationwide. Since 2000, 169 people have died in campus-related fires with 87% of these deaths occurring in off-campus housing. Accordingly, a greater emphasis is being placed on reaching out to and educating students who reside off-campus.